Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do not be anxious about tomorrow


Zach and I started the ESV plan to read through the Bible in a year. Since I am a checklist kind of person, I really have to consciously remember that I am reading to know God and His Word better and not just to check off the box. Taylor has been wanting to read out of the "big Bible"(meaning not out of one of our children's Bibles)so sometimes I just read my daily reading aloud with him. This actually really helps because as we talk about what we've read and what it means, it helps me meditate on the passage as well. A couple of days ago was one of these mornings, especially poignant and keeps coming back to me.
Matthew 6: 25-34--Why are you anxious, don't be anxious about food and clothing (or housing or funding). God clothes the flowers and feed the birds, how much more valuable are you. God knows you need these things so do not worry. "Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

I'm so thankful for the timing and truth of these verses. The last couple of days I have felt heavy and slightly helpless. As for many of you, the situation in Haiti has been weighing on me(can our small giving actually make any difference, "How long oh Lord" do people have to suffer!). The other situation that has been weighing on us has been with putting our house on the market (we are putting our house on the market Feb 1st and have learned that the housing market in our neighborhood and appraisal prices are much lower than we were expecting; way lower than what we bought 3 yrs ago and most likely lower than what we currently owe). I admit that I've cried about our housing situation, but keep coming back to Matthew 6 and to hope. Not only are we thankful that we have a home, our family, and our health (unlike many in Haiti), but more so that God is Sovereign. I am not in control (I can't control our housing or funding and I can't control anything that happens in Haiti) but I do not need to be anxious because I know the God who is in control. He knows what we need and He will provide. It may not be in the way we've imagined, but He is Good, Sovereign, Sufficient, and Satisfying. I pray that I will learn to seek Him first and be able to laugh at the days to come (Prov. 31) because I have no anxiety about tomorrow for I trust in My Rock, My Fortress, and My Savior.

Thank you once again Taylor for challenging your mama to think things through in a deeper way! :)

2 comments:

Carrie Sterner said...

So timely is our Father. He loves us so specifically and ministers to our hearts perfectly. I cling to that with you and have been in more fervent prayer for you guys.

I know that there are going to be so many God-sized stories along our path and I am reminded that the bigger the need, the bigger our God is as He fills it. May we trust Him and give Him the glory due His name. Love you so Kim!

Also, look how God is teaching Taylor in this. I am so THRILLED at the opportunities God is creating for the faith of our children to deepen. Praise His name!!!!!!!

ruth@gracelaced said...

Friend--I will be praying for this. Sorry we've been so out of touch that I did not even realize this current situation. The Lord prepares us for what He call us to...