Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Learning to Love Jesus

Taylor has been asking questions about God for awhile, but I've noticed a big difference in his understanding and desire to know more lately. Last fall his depth of understanding is best summed up in the following quote, "Jesus in the Bible is in heaven and also in your tummy and in your head. See, Jesus, God in you head (knocks on his head). See how hard it is!" Trying, but getting details a little mixed up!

Lately, he has been thinking more about who Jesus is and asking questions. The other day while we were driving he asked, "Mommy, how did Jesus make all the world with only 2 hands. I think he must have needed at least 8."
Being able to talk about who Jesus is one of the most rewarding, but also one of the most challenging aspects of parenting as we seek to give truth in a way that a 3 year old can understand. (we actually got into a conversation about the trinity yesterday as I said that Jesus was God and he just said, "that's funny" when I told him that God is Father, Jesus, and Spirit, different parts of the same God.)
This Easter there were a couple of experiences that really helped open opportunities to talk and give Taylor a way of visualizing the gospel.
1. Our church had the stations of the cross in a wonderfully artistic and moving experience. I took Taylor through them so he was able to see some of the gospel story as we talked about it.
2. We also did a version of the resurrection eggs that my sister had sent to me using 6 plastic eggs. Each egg has something that represents a part of the Easter story (really the gospel). Taylor (& Autumn) really liked opening them up to see what was inside. One of the eggs is empty symbolizing the empty tomb. Taylor kept going back to that one and opening it up and loudly saying, "THE TOMB WAS EMPTY".

It is just precious hearing and being a part of his journey to know God. More than anything else that I desire for Taylor, I want to see him live his life in passionate pursuit of Christ. I love hearing him say now... "Mommy, I love Jesus, don't you?"

1 comment:

Shadley said...

That's so funny, it must be something in their development. Eden has started to be really curious too. She asked me one night after I prayed with her why don't I pray in my bed too, and i told her sometimes I do, and she said, "Mommy, you should talk to God every night."

She also occasionally waves up at the sky and says she's waving at Jesus. Today at the mall she did that and I said, "Did He wave at you?" and she said, "Yeah. I love Jesus and He loves me." There are so many sweet things like that, so rewarding as a parent. At least in some tiny way I know we've done something right (by God's grace!).